25 October 2010

Arts THINK-IN reflection

Yesterday was the first ever Arts Think-In at NCC. It was a long time coming, I've had this vision for awhile, but it wasn't until 2 months ago that I conjured up this brain-child.

My whole thought was that the artists in the "community" didn't know each other. We pray for each other via email and hopefully encounter each other as we walk through life together. But there are no small groups (except for Amanda Goolsby's Capture group), no outreach being done and we don't give back to the community, as a community of artists, at all. On top of that, I found that the artists could be sitting next to each other and not even realize it. How could this be? Furthermore, there was an alarming amount of artists in the NCC community and practically no one knew about it. Again, how could this be? Why were we not supporting each other?

It became apparent to me several months ago that the artists needed to meet each other face to face. And as artists tend to isolate themselves (the "I will show the world that I can do it" mentality), it was REALLY really necessary to do something sooner rather than later.

Thus, Arts THINK-IN conceptualized. With the encouragement of Steph, Genna, Heather and Ryan, I was able to put something together. The goal being NETWORKING and RESISTANCE. I wanted for the NCC artists to hopefully find motivation to take their thoughts into action.

So, I invited 45 artistic/executive directors along with professional artists in the metro DC area and all of the NCC arts community. I asked for Genevieve Williams, Maegan Stout and Sarah Bayot to speak at the THINK-IN- all speakers whom have spoken into my life and I hope would do the same for others.

I can not be more thrilled with how the speakers were yesterday. (Side note: the fact that Genna spoke at all, is a win. The fact that Maegan put together her talk in a mere 2 days and LOOKED as if she had spent weeks preparing it, is a win. The fact that Sarah Bayot, whom none of the artists knew was able to get up and give an Artists Prayer, is a win.) Each speaker challenged again and again for the artists to take their thoughts into action. Each speaker was raw and real... i'm so thankful to have them in my day to day life. Afterwards, the artists attending were already putting down their ideas onto paper. And I've already received emails about how to make their ideas more concrete.

I met a mom of one of the artists. She was telling me how grateful she was of NCC and what we were trying to provide for the artists. How her daughter grew up "weird" or "odd" because she was an artist and how the church they go to as a family didn't give the artist an outlet or any kind of support whatsoever. Hearing that story and seeing her tears made all the planning and the stress worth it. Because ultimately, that's what we're here for. That's what drives me to keep planning all the crazy events- seeing the artists thrive in a safe, non-judgmental environment.

This is only step one of many to come. None of the professional artists outside of NCC came (many did email me with reasons), but it does tell me that there is much more networking to be done. The artists within the NCC community need to be taken seriously within the Metro DC artists community ("Christian artists aren't as serious as 'real' artists apparently.)

At the end of the day, I feel as though everyone who did come got what they really needed to hear. And I'm eternally grateful to everyone who encourages and supports me along the way :) it keeps me going :)

No comments: