14 February 2012

Making Mud Pies In My Mud Puddle

Sunday was the Daddy/Daughter dance that NCC held at Ebenezers. It was splendidly put on by my awesome friend, Floss. I couldn't be more proud of her vision, direction and attitude for tonight. It was a HUGE success!

As the girls entered in, the expression on their faces were so priceless. Each girl unique and lovely in her own way with their dresses, tiaras, and heels (or pink uggs). All the volunteers were immediately wishing each of their own fathers were with there to dance with them.

Hearing comments and listening to memories of my friends with their dads was bittersweet for me. 26 years of my life, I have never cared that my dad wasn't present in my life and all of a sudden, I feel a tug in my heart. Someone mentioned that I should call my dad so I could dance with him at the event. Honestly, I've gotten by with 26 years of my life without him being present at graduations, birthdays, and other major events in my life. So the fact that he wasn't around for a daddy/daughter dance (that is for OTHER little girls) completely threw me in for a loop. I'm not really sure why, now, God has decided that THIS is the time for me to focus on this issue, but let me just throw it out there in the blogosphere that I am NOT a fan of this! There. Now that you know I'm stomping my feet and in full denial of what's actually happening... it's time to get down to the nitty gritty. My heart hurts and I feel like I'm even deeper in my mud puddle then when I initially started this process 4 weeks ago. This is definitely not how I envisioned the other side of the 21 day prayer challenge/fast. I am most definitely not jumping, yelling, screaming of joy from the top of the mountain in case you didn't' notice. I'm quickly learning that I need to be comfortable in my mud puddle and just make some mud pies while I'm here, because there is no end anytime soon.

On a positive note, I'm so proud to be part of a church who works so hard to emphasize the importance of a solid relationship between a father and a daughter. In the cutest and pinkest way possible, dad's were asked to "step up, but yet be encouraged" in their relationships with their daughters. Little girls were encouraged to be a princess and were doted on endlessly. I love thinking about the memory they'll all have from tonight when they get married in the future.

No comments: