17 October 2011

Empire State Building

I am petrified of heights.

When I was learning how to swim, we had to each jump off a diving board to pass. Did I mention how petrified of heights I am? So my dad decided to be supportive and had me practice at my Aunt Wendy's pool. He set up a ladder and anchored it for me to jump off of and into the pool. The only way down the ladder, was to jump. I stood on that ladder for FOUR hours before I jumped.

When I was in the 9, my relatives convinced me to go para-sailing. They said it would cure me of my fear. I was so scared I peed my pants while I was in the air.

When I was 10, my relatives said for me to try hot air ballooning. They said it would cure me of my fear. It didn't. I basically crouched down and missed the entire ride.

When I was in the 8th grade, I rode "Big Bad Wolf" at Busch Gardens because I didn't want my friends to think I was a scaredy cat. O...M...G. FRIGHTENING experience! I screamed the entire way- and not in a "I'm having so much fun" kinda way!

Needless to say, I was not so thrilled about taking the elevator to the 86th floor of the Empire State Building this past weekend. I had a good idea of NYC looked like from the ground. BUT, I was excited about sharing a life experience with my awesomesauce friends. So up I go. Can I just say for the record that I LOVE my friends?! They let me be a scaredy cat and stand behind them as they are taking in the view. But they also grabbed me by the hand and made me stand right up to the fence while surrounding me. They didn't leave me hanging, but they also didn't let me succumb to my fears.

The view was STUNNING. It was just so breath-taking and not the same from five feet back. Trust me when I say that my adrenaline was pumping, knees were wobbling and hands were shaking the entire time! But, if my friends hadn't made me look closer, I would've missed out on a life experience. I simply drank in the sight. Up on the 86th floor, life was so peaceful, you almost forget about how chaotic life really is in NYC.

I'm so grateful for friends who make me face my fears and stand with me while I do it. They are constant in their love and I couldn't have asked for better people to share life with. Am I still scared of heights? Absolutely. But I wouldn't have traded that experience or who I experienced it with, for anything.


Photo from a google search. Not from one of our cameras.

No comments: