23 December 2011

Jumping In Puddles

So it's been on my my to do list to jump in a puddle for some time now. It's all part of my Operation Reclaim Childhood scheme. To do things that I didn't get to do when I was a child.

Wednesday night, was Zoolights day! The zoo opens up at night and is decorated with Christmas lights... there's supposedly a ice skating rink and a fun train that circles the lions and tigers etc. This has been on my bucket list for 3 years now.

Long story short, the ice skating rink was lame (seriously) and the train ride was meant for kids (that didn't stop us though!). The tigers and lions were already beyond passed out and were no where to be found... aka- it was a bust. whomp whomp.

I have gracious friends however, and they made the best of the night. We laughed, mocked, giggled and danced the night away :)

Somewhere inbetween taking photo #462 (NO idea why someone would want to take so many photos... it's not like we'll never see each other again ;o) ) and getting our glow sticks from Pepco, we found a puddle. Deciding to be proactive about Operation Reclaim Childhood, I was asked to jump in it. I never imagined how nervous I would be about jumping in a puddle!!! Ash lovingly demonstrated for me... it looked completely painless. I mean, it's jumping in a puddle! Totally harmless, right? I half expected for my mom to jump out of the bushes to yell at me. I could hear all the reasons why I shouldn't jump in the puddle and all the repercussions that would happen if I did jump in the puddle. I was frozen in place! It's just a puddle!!!

Oh man. Everything in me wanted to turn around and keep looking for animals to look at. I could literally feel my mom's disapproval. But, I also have very stubborn friends who don't let me give up and pass up on fun when the opportunity presents itself. I took a few running starts with every intention of jumping in, but chickened out at the last second. Finally, my friend jumps together with me. And in that moment, I experienced something so freeing. In case you were wondering, my mom did NOT pop out of the bushes to yell at me. There were no repercussions... at all. I even jumped in a few more times... each one as freeing as the one before it.

As all four of us jumped in to the puddle together, I am reminded of what an incredible year 2011 was. It has literally been packed with "firsts". I crossed a lot of things off of my bucket/movie lists. I loved like I never loved before and even better- for the first time ever, I believed that I could BE loved. I've been surrounded by incredible friends who have pushed me, stood by me, and loved me... better than I know how to love myself. They hold my hands, take a running start, and jump into the puddle with me, no questions asked.

My life is far from normal... but I'm very blessed and I am consistently reminded of how lucky I am.

No comments: