28 December 2011

Purple, Spumoni Ices and Coke

Once upon a time, I thought that my very best friends were the ones who knew "everything" about me. By "everything" I mean, my favorite color, favorite Italian ice, favorite song (of the year, month, week and moment!) and favorite soda. I thought that by knowing who my favorite *NSYNC member was (keep your jokes to yourselves folks!)... we were meant to be friends for LIFE!!!

Looking back, I was an idiot. I mean, I know when you're 12, it's okay to think you know what life is all about and then be totally wrong. I know that that's what the teen years were all about. But isn't that funny? As one grows older, we eventually get over ourselves. It's easy to look back, blink and wonder- where did time go? At what point did you start seeking for character and not class in your friends?

In fact, I've recently made a new friend in Idaho via the interwebs (through a friend in DC- I promise it's ok) and she is lovely! We have the most random conversations, I don't have a clue what her favorite color is, if she even likes italian ice, and no idea if she may defriend me after she reads that I use to love *NSYNC. But I do know that she loves life, loves to giggle, and more importantly, is a passionate woman of Christ. I do know ,that in the very little time I've gotten to know her, it's easy to pray for her, want amazing things for her and be myself when I'm chatting with her. Part of that is because- well that's just who she is. She loves everyone and she makes them feel loved in the most genuine way. Another part of that is, because I'm now looking for character in my life. I'm looking for friends who have beauty and strength in their day to day lives and who push me to be more of myself every day (whatever being me looks like). I hope that by BECOMING someone who's genuine, honest and loving- that I attract friends who are the same. There are people in your life who take the heart out of you, and there are people who put it back. I hope to be someone of the latter... and I'm so thankful for those who already do so in my life.

25 years of my life down and hopefully a katrillion more to come, I've learned to become a better friend and invest in the ones that matter most to me. I've learned that whether or not you know my favorite color, it's the shared experiences and the honest moments that make a friendship. I've learned to focus on what I have NOW, be thankful for what I have NOW, praise God for the blessings (friends) He's given me NOW instead of constantly asking for more, desiring for what I don't have, and wishing for things that may or may not come in the future.

I've learned to share my story- ALL of it. Not to everyone and not all the time, but to the ones that need to know. No more "Oh gosh- what did I do?" moments after I've told my story. It is what it is. What's happened to me in the past doesn't dictate my future. I don't need to hide behind the friendships of "what's your favorite color?" anymore.

1 comment:

Meg B said...

So true, Diana. I find myself constantly evaluating how much to share with others. It's a good tension, though.