06 January 2012

Turn the music up LOUDLY!

Like many others, I have been pondering some 2012 goals over the last few days. I have found over the years, that I really like making lists of goals for the year. It really makes the year more interesting and I'm much more likely to go after them instead of consistently saying, "one day...".

Over the last 2 years, I've tried to be really intentional about leading the arts community here at NCC. I've poured every ounce of free time I have thinking about them, their craft and their needs. I've prayed for each artist non-stop and have worked at creating different outlets/opportunities for the artists at NCC.

Going into 2012, I felt myself losing steam. Exhausted from the efforts, but still passionate about the need for an arts community here in DC. Reflecting back, I've realized that along the way, I've neglected my own creative spirit and fell for the lie that every arts manager tells themselves, "I'm focusing on others right now." In the back of my mind, I think I noticed moments of it over the last 2 years. There would be times where I just felt like I gave into my left brain too much. Excuses supported my fear of putting myself out there creatively and I bought into the restless pattern of day to day life.

As I think about next steps for the artists here in DC, I am reminded that I can't lead them where I haven't been before. I'm convicted as I teach, mentor and try to lead the artists to be bold, to fight resistance and to leave a legacy behind, that I haven't done any of those things in the last two years. Over the last six months, I'm grateful for the ones who have asked me about MY prayer requests and MY next creative goal which caused me to stop, take a breath, and realized that I haven't even considered myself as an artist in over two years. How can I expect to be a leader if I wasn't acting like one? More importantly, how could I expect to be taken seriously as an artist, if I didn't consider myself to be one in the first place?

Over the next 12 months, I am going to focus on my singing. I'd imagine it will be eons off before I audition again. But in 2012, my goals include: "turn the music up LOUDLY and learn those harmony parts!", "sing weekly", "no more humming allowed!", along with "master a piano/voice piece".

Post-graduation, I'm going to do something with my music degree. It's time to step up to the plate and become the creative person I know I'm called to be.

1 comment:

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com